Growing up our family Christmas dinner was a traditional menu we all loved – turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetable, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, and an assortment of pies.
There was one dish we were split on, one dish you either hated or loved. It was the Scalloped Oysters. I was in the LOVED category.
It is a simple dish, no recipe required, only 4 ingredients – oysters, saltines, milk and butter. To put it together:
- Rough chop the oysters and warm them in some milk and butter
- Crumble the saltines
- Layer the saltines with the oysters and milk mixture in a casserole dish
- Bake at 350 degrees F until set
- The layered mixture should be moist, not dry or not wet.
- Drain oysters or not. I prefer not, to retain the briny oyster flavor.
- If you omit the saltines, you have Oyster Stew!
No matter what you are eating this year, I wish you a
Very Happy Christmas