Butter cookies are actually better than shortbread cookies! The main difference between the two is the amount of sugar and the baking temperature. Butter cookies have more sugar and bake at a higher temperature than shortbread cookies. They don’t crumble and the dough is extremely versatile.google
We are nearing the end of the cookie baking week. If you are like me, your sweet tooth is on overload. So, for Day 4 of this 5 days of Christmas cookies adventure, I will feature a less sweet treat; it is a shortbread type cookie recipe that comes from the 2019 Southern Living Christmas magazine. If you missed any of the previous days, follow the links below.
- Day 1: Peanut Butter Crinkles
- Day 2: Holiday Magic Bars
- Day 3: Grandmother’s Molasses Cookies
- Day 4: Cranberry Orange Butter Cookies
- Day 5: Chocolate-Peppermint Crackle Cookies
Day 4 – Cranberry-Orange Butter Cookies
Cranberries and oranges come together for Christmas! For me they are good anytime of the year. When I saw this recipe in Southern Living last year, I had to try it. It was a hit and request again for this year.
- 1 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 c. unsifted powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Beat butter until creamy (2 mins.). Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in vanilla.
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Stir together and gradually add to ingredients in Step 1, beating to combine.
- 3/4 c. chopped dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. orange zest
Beat into dough, just to combine (about 30 sec.)
Step 4 : Divide and Chill
Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a rectangular log about 9″ x 2″ x 2″. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
Step 5: Slice and Bake
- Cut dough in 1/4″ thick slices
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment
- Place slices 1″ apart
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-12 mins.
- Cool on the baking tray 5 mins. then move to a wire rack
Stick around for our final day tomorrow. It is destined to be a chocolate delight!
Have you tried any of this weeks’ cookie recipes?
Please share your thoughts, use the comments box below.