Now is the time to spice up your life and save your bones.
This post is reblogged from an article for Women’s Health by Dr. Susan Brown titled 5 top spices for your bones. Dr. Brown discusses five spices we should incorporate into our diets that can help prevent bone loss and that are good for our overall health.
Here’s a look at what’s in her bone-supporting spice rack:
- Cinnamon – This warm, fragrant spice works well in both savory or sweet dishes to help reduce bone breakdown.
- Cloves – These tiny buds are packed with the powerful bone nutrients, magnesium, vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Garlic – With antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties, garlic is packed with key bone nutrients and helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Ginger -Ginger has antioxidant anti-inflammatory properties with significant amounts of potassium, magnesium, selenium, and phosphorus — all good for bone health.
- Turmeric – Turmeric protects the body from oxidative stress that leads to cell damage, bone loss, and disease; and it strengthens the immune system.
Who Is Dr. Susan Brown?
Dr. Susan Brown PhD has pioneered the natural approach to bone health for over 30 years. She was the first to prove that using only natural methods, nearly every woman can build strong bones for life.
She is a medical anthropologist, a New York State Certified Nutritionist, and the author of Better Bones, Better Body — the first comprehensive look at natural bone health.