This year marks the 51st year of Earth Day celebrations. Climate control and improving our environment have never been more important or urgent. Here are a few simple suggestions you can do to celebrate and help save the Earth:
- Plant a tree, shrub, or flower. Cool things down, clean the air, and increase oxygen levels in the environment by adding trees and plants. Join a garden club.
- Grow your own fruits or vegetables. Whether you have a lot of space or just a small space, you can grow edibles in container gardens. raised gardens or wide-open fields. Volunteer at a community garden.
- Ride your bike or take a walk. Reduce your carbon footprint and get yourself moving. It is good for the environment and good for your health.
- Use reusuable bags. Americans use over 100 billion plastic bags a year, needing 12 million barrels of oil. Plastic bags fill up landfills and cause marine life problems.
- Unsubscribe from junk mail, and unwanted catalogs and magazines. Sign up for a free opt-out service such as cataglogchoice.org or write to the sender direct.
- Recycle! Know the rules/laws for your area. Contact your trash company or local government to find out about recycling. Investigate where/how to dispose of electronics, paint, batteries, hazardous chemicals and or non-environmentally friendly items.
- Speak out and get involved, volunteer. If you feel passionate about an environmental issue or piece of legislation, let people know.
This is an international problem and everyone needs to do a part. Will you join the fight and Celebrate Earth Day? I would like to hear your suggestions and thoughts. Please start or join a conversation in the comments section.