In following my instructions I find they are in need of a bit of modification. It is in the way it is mixed together.
This has to be the best banana bread I have ever made. Moist and sweet (but not too sweet) with little bits of apple — oh so delicious!
Developed from the BEST EVER Sour Cream Banana Bread recipe on Pinterest by Reluctant Entertainer. Her recipe calls for 3 ripe bananas, I only had 2, and sour cream, I had none. To substitute I used applesauce and vanilla yogurt. Reluctant Entertainer does say that Greek yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream, so I cannot take full credit for that substitution.
Since I did not have applesauce, only apples, I made applesauce. I peeled, chopped and cooked the apples (any kind will work) with a bit to cinnamon. Once they were fully cooked I mashed them into a sauce. No sugar needed, there would be enough in the bread; and the yogurt I had would provide some sweetness as well. A half a cup is a good equivalent for 1 banana. Jarred applesauce will work as well; I recommend unsweetened.
Baking Tip: Did you know that you can substitute applesauce for the oil in cakes or brownies? It is 1 to 1 and a delicious way to cut some fat from your diet.
Here is how to put it together:
Step 1: Cream together
- 1/2 c softened butter
- 1 c. sugar
Step 2: Add in and mix to combine
- 2 beaten eggs
UPDATE STARTS HERE…
Step 3: Mix in separate bowls Dry Ingredients and Wet Ingredients
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- 1/2 c. applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 c. yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. walnuts, chopped (optional)
Step 4: Alternating Wet and Dry Combine with the butter, sugar and egg mixture
- Lightly grease a standard size loaf pan
- Pour in mixture into loaf pan
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 50 mins or until toothpick comes out clean (Don’t overbake)
- Take out of pan and let cool on a wire rack before serving
NOTE: 2 small loaf pans can be used, they will take less time.
To Store or Freeze:
- Store in an air-tight container, it should keep for 4-5 days
- To Freeze, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then wrap in aluminum foil. It should keep for 2-3 months.
This recipe is so delicious you won’t even need a pat of butter, but it is Awesome Banana Applesauce Bread either way. Let me know if you give it a try.