This week Friday Facts is all about simple syrup.
What is Simple Syrup?
Simple syrup is a thick, sticky liquid consisting, generally of sugar and water. You can buy it – $5 for 12 oz. on Amazon – but far less expensive, make your own. As the name suggests, it is simple. How?
In a pot, bring equal parts water and white sugar to a boil. Simmer to syrup consistency, remove from heat, cool, then bottle. Store in the refrigerator. Usually it can be stored up tp 6 months.
How do you use Simple Syrup?
- Sweeten Drinks — Iced tea or coffee, lemonade. Instead of sweetening a cold drink with sugar, use a simple syrup and never have those gritty sugar crystals again.
- Alcoholic Beverages — Simple syrup is a staple in any bar or restaurant and is used in mojitos, whiskey sours, margaritas to name a few,
- In Desserts — Brush simple syrup on the layers (or top) of a cake or on cupcakes to keep them moist.
- Flavor It — Add a flavoring, such as lemon, peppermint, vanilla to kick-up your drinks. Add maple flavoring for a quick, easy substitute for maple syrup. Infuse it with citrus peels, flowers (lavender, perhaps). or herbs.
- Hummingbird Food — Instead of buying food for these sweet little birds, use simple syrup in your feeder. You will want to dilute the syrup with water – 50% more water would be a good measure. DO NOT add red food coloring to your mix. It is toxic to the birds. Side Note: Hummingbird will drink any consistency, they just drink less if it has a lot of sugar.
Are you opposed to or do you avoid white sugar? A couple good substitutes for simple syrup are honey or maple syrup.
I would be curious to hear from you on other ways to use simple syrup. I am going to try some of the flavorings and infusions. Hummingbirds are coming into our area in the next week or so; I must get my food prepared and feeder ready.
2021 Hummingbird Migration Map — See when hummingbirds will be in your area.